Wednesday, December 17, 2008

About Time

I'm finally completing that post from when I was tagged a few days ago by Sarah. It's amazing how much of a cramp having actual work is putting in my ability to blog in a timely fashion. I'm going to complete the first part of the tag, but I can't think of anyone to tag, so I'm going to be pathetic in that respect. I just finished tagging a bunch of people on my bike racing blog and I honestly don't have many readers on this one.

So, my assignment, since I've chosen to accept it, is to grab one of the books closest to me, go to page 56, type the fifth line and the next two to five lines that follow. A couple days ago, when I saw that Sarah had tagged me, I grabbed the closest book and set it aside so it would be ready for this. Here goes:

It was like we were living with a wild stallion—and trying to teach it to sip tea from fine porcelain. Some days I felt like Anne Sullivan to Marley's Hellen Keller. I thought back to Saint Shaun and how quickly I, a mere ten-year-old boy, had been able to teach him all he needed to know to become a great dog. I wondered what I was doing wrong this time.

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
John Grogan

This is a great book, but I wouldn't recommend reading the ending sitting on a plane next to a complete stranger like I did.

No comments: